Tuesday 27 February 2018

ELL 3 English
We're finishing up questions from "Thank you Ma'am," and going over integrated vs segregated quotes. Here's our working sample for today:

--------
       Last year was the first time I had ever been the new kid at school. For the first four days, I was completely alone. I don’t think I even spoke to a single person. Finally, at lunch on the fifth day, Karen Watson walked past her usual table and sat down right next to me. Even though I was new, I had already figured out who Karen Watson was. She was popular. Pretty soon, all of Karen’s friends were sitting there right next to me. I never became great friends with Karen, but after lunch that day, it seemed like all sorts of people were happy to be my friend. You cannot convince me that Karen did not know what she was doing. I have a great respect for her, and I learned a great deal about what it means to be a true leader.
--------

What did Karen do that made other people interested in the narrator?
Segregated
Karen helped the narrator by sitting down next to her. “Karen Watson walked past her usual table and sat down right next to me.” (p. 199)

Integrated

When the narrator was looking for friendship, she became lucky when “Karen Watson walked past her usual table and sat down right next to [her].” (p. 199)

Does the narrator respect Karen?
Segregated

The narrator clearly states that she respects Karen. “I have a great respect for her.”

Integrated

The narrator clearly states that “[she has] a great respect for [Karen].”

ELL 1/2 Science
More nutrition vocabulary!

ELL 3 Social Studies
I'll be checking your p. 126 questions, then we'll select our disasters for our presentations!

ELL 1/2 Social Studies
We'll go over answers for #8, and our NEWSELA article from yesterday. Some of us might need a bit more time to finish. :)

When we're done with Sharkbucks and all that - we'll move on to another article. Here is the link. Remember to set the difficulty to a level that's right for you.

  1. What makes "Black Panther" different from other Marvel movies?
  2. How has "Black Panther" changed the way Hollywood sees women and African Americans as actors?
  3. What's another movie that changed how Hollywood thinks of female actors?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.